Here is information you need to help you start a business in Virginia.
- Virginia Business Licensing Information: Contact the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation at (804) 367-8500 about licensing requirements, or visit or visit Virginia.gov.
- Obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Business Registration Guide: Information from the State Corporation Commission about business entity formation in Virginia.
- State Building Codes and Regulations
About Virginia Business Taxes
You can register new businesses or make changes to existing business registrations and tax accounts online.
Virginia allows businesses to file and pay withholding and sales tax, file and pay corporate extensions, send a secure message, pay a tax bill, and register for a nonprofit exemption via their online tax services for businesses.
Corporate Tax Information: Almost all businesses incorporated under Virginia law, or that have registered with the State Corporation Commission for the privilege of conducting business in Virginia, or that receives income from Virginia sources must file a Virginia corporation income tax return.
Federally tax-exempt nonprofit organizations only have to file corporate income tax returns if they earned unrelated business taxable income at the federal level.
If you selected "s" corporation for your federal tax return, you are also automatically considered an s corporation in Virginia.
- A Virginia Guide to Establishing a Business: (.pdf) This publication summarizes the major state and local tax, labor, occupational and environmental regulations that may affect businesses in Virginia.
- Guide to Local Taxes on Business: (.pdf) Information about local taxes on businesses listed by cities and counties in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Virginia's Small Business Administration Center
Virginia District Office
The Federal Building
400 North 8th Street, Suite 1150
Richmond, VA 23219-4829
(804) 771-2400 Fax 771-2764
Territory: All of Virginia except Arlington, Fairfax, and Loudoun counties, and cities of Alexandria, Fairfax and Falls Church.