As of October 2009, Twitter.com experienced user growth (measured by the number of new subscribers) of 200 percent over 2008 statistical data.
Twitter User Statistics
The following reported statistics count users who create and use accounts through Twitter. Statistics may be slightly higher as Tweet traffic is not counted for those who use services like TweetDeck, or automatic Tweets sent directly from blogs, or who access Twitter via mobile aps and text messages.
The following Twitter statistics count users aged 18 and older who visit or use Twitter at least once per month:
- 2008: 6.0 Million Users (11.1% of adult Internet users.)
- 2009: 18 Million Users (3.8% of adult Internet users.)
60% of Twitter users abandon their accounts within their first month of use.
Twitter's retention rate is only 40% compared to MySpace and Facebook who enjoy a 70% user retention rate.
According to Mashable, Facebook "counts more than 250 million active users, 120 million of which they claim login at least once daily."
- 2010: (Projected) 26 Million Users (15.5 % of adult internet users.)
2011 Twitter Statistics
Twitter CEO, Dick Costolo, reported as of June 2011, 100 million people use Twitter each day even though 40% of Twitter account owners have not logged into their accounts in the past 30 days. Another source. ComScore.com reports that Twitter had closer to 150 million unique visitors during July 2011.
The number of monthly Twitter users is up 82% since the beginning of the year (2011), and half of Twitter users log in every day.
Approximately 55% of Twitter users are mobile users.
Forty percent of Twitter users do not Tweet, or haven't Tweeted in the past 30 days.
AdAge Daily has reported that, "Costolo also noted that Twitter is on pace to add another 26 million active users in the next four months, equaling the total added in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 combined."
- Adam Ostro. Mashable. 18 Million Twitter Users by End of 2009. September 14, 2009.
- eMarketer. U.S. Twitter Statistics Surpass Earlier Estimates. September 2009.
- Peter Cashmore. Mashable. 60% of Twitter Users Quit Within First Month. April 28, 2009.
- Cotton Dello. AdAge Daily Twitter Now Has 100 Million Active Monthly Users