1. Money
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

What IRS Tax Forms Should I Use to File Self-Employment Taxes?


Question: What IRS Tax Forms Should I Use to File Self-Employment Taxes?
Answer: There are several forms you must submit to the IRS by April 15th after any tax year in which you had net earnings of $400 or more:
  • Form 1040 (U.S. Individual Income Tax Return);
  • Schedule C (Profit or Loss from Business) ;
  • or Schedule F (Profit or Loss from Farming) as appropriate; and
  • Schedule SE (Self-Employment Tax).

Use IRS Form 1040 and Schedule SE to pay self-employment Social Security tax. You need to file these forms even if you are already receiving Social Security benefits.

You may also need to file self-employment Social Security tax even if you do not owe any income tax.

You may be able to take certain deductions if you paid your own self-employment Social Security taxes.

More About Filing Schedule SE and Schedule C

  • Schedule SE (Self-Employment): IRS Schedule SE is used to calculate and report your taxable self-employment income. The Schedule SE should be filed with your Form 1040.

  • Schedule C: List self-employment income for Sole proprietorships, independent contractors, and other statutory non-employee income on Schedule C. This income must also be included Schedule SE.

    Filed in: Federal Tax FAQs

  • ©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.