In September of 2011, Andrew Jackson University changed its name to New Charter University and relocated from Birmingham, AL to San Francisco, CA.
You can earn an accredited Associate, Bachelor's and Master's degree through their distance learning (online) programs. Non-degree students can take up to four classes at one time for a flat fee, and degree-seeking students can take up to three courses at a time for one set fee. Additional classes may be added subject to restrictions.
Accreditation: NCU is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC). The DETC is listed by the United States Department of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency.
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: New Charter University is approved by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) to offer its programs to veterans who qualify for educational benefits under the DVA Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits program as well as for veterans who qualify for Chapters 30, 33, 35, 1606/1607 and MyCAA. Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits are applicable to our Associateʼs, Bachelorʼs and Masterʼs degree programs. Veterans who believe they may qualify for Chapter 31 benefits should
contact their VA office for details. The New Charter University Facility Code is
Department of Defense: New Charter University is a Department of Defense (DoD) approved institution and accepts tuition assistance benefits
Undergraduate: $199 per month ($796 for a 4-month term). There is a 5% discount if you pay for four terms in full ($756.20)
Graduate: $329 per momnth ($1,316 for a 4-month term). There is a 5% discount if you pay for four terms in full ($1,250.20)
Free: NCU offers a free trial so you can see if distance learning is for you. As a "Community Member" you get access to all their courses and can learn at your own pace at no cost. If you decide to enroll, progress will be credited (but you will have to pay a fee for credits you earn.)
Scholarships Are Available
The scholarship program for business degree seekers gives $1,000 away to one recipient each month. The scholarship can be used at any acredited university.
You can find an online application and more information about NCU's scholarships on their Facebook Scholarship page.
Transfer of Credits
NCU has the sole discretion to accept transfer of credits from other institutions. You have to enroll before begin given a decision about credit transfers. Any grades earned will not be transferred and will not affect your grade point average (GPA) for your degree obtained through NCU.
- Associate's Degree: Up to 45 credits (15 courses.) Only grades of C or higher will be considered for transfer of credits.
- Bachelor's Degree: Up to 90 credits (30 courses). Only grades of B or higher will be considered for transfer of credits.
- Master's Degree: Up to 6 credits (2 courses). Only grades of B or higher will be considered for transfer of credits.
For Associate's and Bachelor's degrees, transfer credit may be awarded through a combination of transfer and/or credit by examination. For Master's degrees, credit by examination does not apply.
Military/Law Enforcement Training: NCU accepts military/law enforcement and other training for academic credit based on ACE College Credit recommendation Service evaluations, as outlined in The National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs and The Guide to Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.
Credit by Examination: NCU accepts the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) for approved agencies offering credit by examination. These include:
- CLEP (College Level Examination Program)
- Excelsior College Exams
- DANTES Subject Exams
Degrees Currently Available (As of January 2012)
The College of Public Policy & Administration
- Associate of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Public Administration (MPA)
The College of Business
- Associate of Science in Business Now enrolling
- Associate of Science in Communication
- Bachelor of Science in Business - General Business
- Bachelor of Science in Business - Management/Leadership
- Bachelor of Science in Business - Sales and Sales Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication
- Master of Business Administration - Finance
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Master of Business Administration - Management
- Master of Business Administration - Human Resources Management
- Master of Business Administration - Sales Management
- Master of Business Administration - Strategic Leadership
- Master of Business Administration - Information Technology Management
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
- Master of Business Administration - Management of Information Systems
- Master of Business Administration - Entrepreneurship
- Executive Master of Business Administration
For more information about courses and degrees available, download the .pdf 2012 School Catalog (Effective dates March 12, 2012 through December 31, 2012).
New Charter University
543 Howard Street, 5th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94105
New Charter University
2919 John Hawkins Parkway
Birmingham, AL 35244
- Toll Free: (888) NEW-1388 or (888) 639-1388
- Main Tel: (415) 813-5970
- Main Fax: (415) 813-5980