But this does not mean women are less successful than men, in fact, statistics show that women are starting businesses at more than twice the rate of male-majority-owned businesses. The growing success rate of women entrepreneurs shows that they are resourceful, and able to succeed, despite the odds.
There are three major areas where women business owners may face challenges, less common to men in business:
- Gender Discrimination and Stereotyping
- Dual Career-Family Pressures
- Lack of Equal Opportunities in Certain Industries
How Women Can Overcome Business Challenges
Women often have life skills and natural abilities that are useful in businesses. Women tend to be great networkers, have inherent skills for negotiating, and the ability to multi-task. Single mothers are often good at delegating and budgeting; skills that they rely on to manage their families.
Specific strategies to help women entrepreneurs succeed include:
- Create a Strong Network
- Consider Certifying as a Women-Owned Business
- Understand the Power of the Internet
- Learn New Ways to Balance Work and Life
- Get Inspiration and Advice From by Other Women Succeeding in Business
- Women's Business News: Stay current on issues the present challenges for women in business, and read how other women overcome their own obstacles in the business world.