Questionnaires in This Series:
- Business Foundations Questionnaire - Cash Flow
- Business Foundations Questionnaire – Internet Sales, PR, and Advertising
- Business Foundations Questionnaire - Customer Service
- Business Foundations Questionnaire – Manufacturing, Production & Distribution
Business Foundations Questionnaire - Customer Service
To be competitive, all businesses must have outstanding customer service practices and polices. If you do not have a customer service policy or need to revamp existing ones start by creating an outline.
The following questions can serve as a foundational guide for developing your business plan, feasibility study, or business model to create or improve customer satisfaction.
- Do you have a return or exchange policy?
- How will you resolve customer complaints?
- How can customers resolve problems, place orders, or reach you with questions? (Will you have an autoresponder or will customers receive a personal response?)
- Will you join the Better Business Bureau, professional associations, or other groups or associations that can boost your credibility and visibility?
Understanding The Importance of Good Customer Service
How To Lose Customers: Attracting customers is half your goal in business. You also need to focus on developing strategies for customer retention because repeat and referral customers are vital to sustain and grow your business. To accomplish this you need to have customer service polices in place!
The Importance of Treating Customers, Employees, and Stakeholders Equally: Customer policies and relationship standards should be part of your mission statement, neither receiving substandard or preferential treatment over employees, contractors, or even stakeholders.
This concept of treating all equal has received much attention and has become the new business model for success for many mega-corporations. According to co-authors David B. Wolfe, Jagdish N. Sheth, Rejendra S. Sisodia, in Firms of Endearment, "… successful companies [that ] spend millions of dollars less on marketing and advertising than their industry counterparts, but have found tremendous success by following a business model that values stakeholders, employees, and customers equally…”
Successful Business Tip: If you have customers you absolutely must have a customer service policy in place. If you use a website your customer service policies and privacy practices information should be clearly stated for your customers – not buried deep within your website.