The demand for novelty items tends to diminish when a household budget is being cut but newlyweds still spring for personalized and theme-related trinkets and novelties. Perhaps this is due in part to the tradition of having the bride's parents spring for wedding costs.
If you are not interested in event planning but offer products or services related to weddings, contact every wedding planner you can locate. Send company information about your products and services and samples, and then follow up a week later with a phone call.
Product and Service Ideas for Wedding-Based Businesses
- Table Top Items and Souvenirs: Most weddings have a use for a variety of products to set the mood and for quests to take home with them. Products include flowers, candles, vases, candy, fountains, ice sculptures, napkins, place holders, rice bags, and small, individual gifts items wedding attendees can take home.
- Write Invitations and Wedding Vows:If you have excellent writing skills and are a good listener, consider writing wedding vows for couples. You can offer these services in person, over the Internet, or by telephone interviews. You can also apply your writing talents to create personal invitations and announcements.
- Start a Power Pointe Business: Many weddings, parties, memorials, and receptions now offer Power Pointe presentations to share with guests. Presentations usually just involve using photos with brief text and movies.
- Be a Videographer: If you enjoy people and videotaping start a wedding video service. Even though most people own or have access to video cameras, a wedding calls for something more professional. Tape interviews with guests, family and attendants and a special message from the bride and groom before and after the ceremony. In order to set your services apart from the "home made" videos, as part of your product be sure to offer post production services such as adding opening titles, captions, music, special effects, and making extra copies. Package the videos in custom cases.
- Wedding Gifts: Buying the perfect gift for the happy couple can be challenging and time consuming. Start a central gift registry or service to help guests purchase just the right wedding gift. You could also start a gift wrapping business.
Tips for Starting a Wedding Product or Service Business
- Eavesdrop! Join online forums and "listen in" on conversations between brides-to-be to learn about what the latest trends and what is "not hot."
- Subscribe to Bride and Wedding Magazines: Not only are the subscriptions business related and therefore, a business deduction, but they are an excellent source of information about weddings. Be sure to turn to the back of the magazine where other wedding businesses advertise and study your competition.
- Join a Professional Wedding Association: Well-known professional associations for businesses catering to the marriage industry can offer ideas, support, training, and guidance. Wedding organizations include:
- Association of Bridal Consultants
- Association of Certified Professional Wedding Consultants
- June Wedding Inc.
- Weddings Beautiful Worldwide
Weddings Last More Than 1 Day
Don't forget that the wedding day itself may be the big ticket for brides to be, but there are also business opportunities in providing products and services for bridal shower gifts, bachelor parties, and even the honeymoon. And, one year later, wedding anniversary gifts provide yet another opportunity for savvy business women.