I watched sixty commercials that aired during Sunday's "big game" (yes, sixty!) and took notes as to which advertisers promoted some sort of social networking. If there is one thing we can learn Super Bowl advertisers is that, even over their own websites, quite a few promoted their social networks instead to try and engage their audiences on a deeper level.
Only one advertiser promoted their business via Instagram, an image sharing platform that is particularly popular among pre-teens and teens. No doubt this same age group probably also eats Oreos.
- Oreo Whisper Fight - You decide which is better, the cookie or the creme.
- Budweiser Brotherhood. This video hands-down has caused the most tears. Budweiser is asking Twitter followers of @Budweiser and Facebook friends to help name the baby horse (who is the newest Budweiser horse to be) using #clydesdales. One popular name already trending before the commercial aired during the Super Bowl was "Onion" because the video makes so many people cry.
- Wonderful Pistachios - This nutty parody featuring Psy goes Gangum Style on Twitter: #CrackinStyle
- M&Ms Love Ballad. #betterwithmms
- BestBuy Asking Amy - #InfiniteAnswers
- Hyundai Pick Your Team - #PickYourTeam and #EpicPlayDate from their Epic Playdate Video
- Samsung Galaxy - #TheNextBigThing
- Toyota RAV4 - #WishGranted
- Bud Light Journey & Lucky Chair Video- #HEREWEGO
- Speed Stick Unattended Laundry - Tweet your "handle it" (an uncomfortable moment) on Twitter at #HANDLEIT
- Mio Anthem - Some stuff has changed for the better (some things should be left alone according to this video) #ChangeStuff
- Subway Congratulations Jared - #15yrWinningStreak let's you join in celebrating spokesman Jared in his weight loss success story, or join in celebrating FebruANY #FebruANY
Also sporting Twitter on Big Game Day: #calvinklein.
- Axe Lifeguard - Commercial offers a chance to win a trip to outerspace. Yes, become an astronaut just by winning at www.axeapollo.com (but you had to enter before midnight the day the commercial aired.)
- Pizza Hit Hut Hut Hut - Share your "hut" moments on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pizzahut
- Pepsi Next Party - www.facebook.com/pepsinext
Other Social Engagement Promotions
- Coca-Cola Mirage - A race in the dessert for a big bottle of Coke. You get to decide who wins the race on www.cokechase.com