In an effort to curb spam Facebook is beta testing paid private messages. If you try to send a private message to someone you are not Facebook friends with you might get this message:
"You aren't connected to 'NAME'' on Facebook, so your message would normally get filtered to her Other folder. You can:
- Send this message to her Inbox for $1.00
- Just send this message to her Other folder"
Only some users will get this message as Facebook tests the waters to see if people are willing to pay to send messages to people they are not friends with. And, it seems, different prices are set for different people. To send a private message to Mark Zuckerberg will cost you $100.
According to Michael C. Fehn on www.tristatehomepage.com, "Right now, if you message people outside of your network, it goes to a mailbox most users don't know exists. Facebook says it is using the extreme price point as another type of spam filter."
For what it is worth, I use Facebook for business and consider myself social networking savvy -- but I did not know I had a mailbox for "other." Now I know and it is still hard to find.
Here are some tips to help you get more out of Facebook:
- Three Ways To Block Facebook Spam and Other Annoyances
- How To Block Spam Comments On Facebook (Video)
- How To Turn Off Facebook's Facial Recognition Tags
- Facebook vs. Twitter: Privacy Issues