1. Money
Lahle Wolfe

Hilary Farr - More Than Just An HGTV Star

By July 30, 2012

Hilary Farr
Hilary Farr, Designer, Business Owner, Star of HGTV's hit show, "Love It or List It"
Hilary Farr, with permission

If you are a fan of top interior designers, or HGTV's hit show, "Love It Or List It," you know who Hilary Farr is.  This Canadian born, attractive, likeable woman, is far more than just a new celebrity face to be recognized.  Hilary Farr is a hard-core business women with drive, focus, and passion.  She has her own design business, Hilary Farr Design, a new product line in the works, and of course, there's here design show.

In a new profile by writer, Joe Hefferon, Farr offers some candid, straight-forward advice for designers.  Joe asked Hilary for her advice for someone who is considering a career in design? "I don't mean to sound flippant but - you must understand business or you will work for free."

For fans, she shares that her show is unscripted, and the tension is real.  However, she and co-star David Visentin are actually good friends.

Be sure to check out Joe's latest:  Profile of Hilary Farr, Designer, Business Woman, Star of "Love It Or List It."

Comments
November 27, 2012 at 8:20 pm
(1) jariseta rambeloson says:

I love Hilary’s renovation style. I think the quality/cost is reasonable. I have move to Alexandria, Virginia, USA. recently, and own a condo with 2 bedrooms, 2 and half bathrooms, 1 hidden kitchen and 1 living room. I wonder if you have some representative around Washington DC and Virginia in USA?

Bravo for your TV shows, I think this may inspired new home owner a lot.

All the best,
Zo

December 9, 2012 at 11:40 am
(2) Pat says:

I like your show, but it’s become VERY, VERY predictable! Hiliary, and her crew are going to find something, EVERY TIME, that’s going to make it impossible for her to give the homeowners their full wish list. The homeowners get all ticked off, even though, she’s fixing THEIR home (couldn’t sell it without fixing the issue being fixed). David on the other hand, ALWAYS finds just what the couple wants, with the VERY last house looked at! PLEASE change it up sometimes, so it’s not so predictable!! Thank you

December 9, 2012 at 12:12 pm
(3) Jean says:

We have a very difficult master bed/bath redesign challenge in a mountain home near Boulder, Co. Do you offer virtual services?

January 13, 2013 at 1:31 am
(4) Carol says:

Your show has become very predictable….always a problem with the renovations. It is becoming “old” real fast.
It would be nice to see more of a mix and some homes fully renovated to the owners expectations.
Otherwise its like watching the same show over and over, just a different house. Just my thoughts!

January 28, 2013 at 9:19 pm
(5) Sheryl says:

I have to agree with the other comments. Love the show, love what Hilary designs, but to say that the show is unscripted, I would have to disagree.
Maybe word for word, but there’s always a problem, it’s always the 3rd house that is the winner, never the first two. Need to add something to change it up, please, otherwise, I’m almost ready to not watch it any longer.

February 19, 2013 at 3:24 am
(6) sarah says:

Actually registered/professional interior designers that have completed the appropriate FIDER accredited interior design programs would know that most of these obstacles exist and plan for them. They would never tear into older building without first contacting an architect or engineer as to what may be problems that they would encounter. Most certainly never tell the client they could do all these improvements prior to knowing for sure that they could actually be done. A “scope of services” is always provided at the beginning of the project and within the perimeters of the design contract.

I do think she does beautiful work but far too many times she is “in deep” into the project before she realizes there are problems that will require sapping the renovation budget. In the “real” world law suits would be the result instead of tastefully completely interiors.

March 17, 2013 at 5:50 pm
(7) kathleen myers says:

Hillary i think you are the greatest,how do you come up with some of these home owners wish i had a home to renovate,i don’t know how you put up with some of these rude nasty people keep up the good work love the show.

March 18, 2013 at 8:38 pm
(8) Melissa says:

I love the show except for the homeowners comments when the design team finds faulty whatever in a 200 year old home- what a shock! Either the homeowners rude and absurd comments are scripted or Hillary has a rock star pharmacist on speed dial…

April 20, 2013 at 7:15 pm
(9) P. Earle says:

I just want to say, that the young people(designers, real estate) on Love it or List is-2 will not be able to replace Hilary and David. If they are going to eventually replace Hilary and David, then I will not be watching this program. Sorry(they don’t have the personalities that compare with Hilary & David).

April 21, 2013 at 10:44 pm
(10) Kathy P. says:

Love, love, love ‘Love it or List it’ but not the ‘too program. The principles’ skills and personalities no comparison with the original program. Do have to admit the ‘predictable’ comments about the original program have merit. A mix of episodes with some clients getting all they asked for would be more satisfying.

June 23, 2013 at 4:56 pm
(11) Judith says:

I’ve given up on this show–agree with others that if you’ve seen 3 or 4 shows you will not see anything new in those after. Love David, he is a natural comic and yet great working with people to not offend clients with some of the harsh comments they made. Wish I could get him to find us just the right house. Hilary is very good with her solutions for remaking crummy homes into unbelievable “is this the same house?” I was an avid fan until I couldn’t bear seeing repeat routines for both David and Hilary.

December 3, 2013 at 9:25 pm
(12) Rio says:

If a couple’s home is worth, say, $500,000, and they tell David their budget for a new home is $600,000, then why don’t they give Hilary $100,000 to fix the old home. It’s not fair to her, and I’m getting tired of it. At the very least, the couple could agree to pay extra for the found problems such as faulty wiring, termites, leaks that have caused mold, etc.