Getting an education is critical for success in life; the two cannot be easily separated. Most people who lack an elementary school education will be hardpressed to find gainful employment anywhere in the world. And, in the United States, the law requires a certain minimum level of education unless a child's health and mental ability prohibits them from attending school or being instructed in a home school environment.
The list below is for curiosity sake and not intended to encourage anyone to drop out of school at any level.
Successful Women Who Dropped Out of Elementary School
- Jane Austen, Author of Pride and Prejudice
- Jackie Cochran, Pilot, First Woman to Fly a Bomber Across the Atlantic and Make the Aviation Hall of Fame
- Isadora Duncan, Dancer, Considered the Mother of Modern Dance
- Billie Holiday, Musician
- Sophia Loren, Actress
- Tina Modotti, Actress
- Koko Taylor, Blues Singer
- C.J. Walker, Inventor, Hair Products, First Female American Millionaire
Want to read about more women who dropped out of school but still managed to make it big in entertainment, and some, even in the business world?